Friday, January 27, 2012

Ever Heard of Brown Rice Syrup?

Ever heard of brown rice syrup? A year ago, neither had I. It's a medium colored alternative to so many other sweeteners, including table sugar and corn syrup, and it's one worth paying attention to.

Unlike other traditional syrups, such as maple or honey, brown rice syrup has a very mild flavor, making it perfect to add just the right amount of sweetness without altering the flavors of the other ingredients.

But isn't traditional sugar just fine? Why try yet another trendy food?


One reason I'm personally sold on brown rice syrup can be summed up in one word: oatmeal. Oatmeal is marketed as a wholesome, stick to your ribs breakfast choice. And in folklore, it's also referred to as...paste. If you are anything like me, some sort of sugary something needs to be added if it's going to be on the menu and actually eaten. In the past, anytime I'd have it, a few hours later I'd be begging for lunch. But oatmeal is touted as food with staying power, isn't it? For me and my daughter, no, it wasn't. If anything, it upped our appetites for the day, so we moved on to other things.

One evening, we caught "Christina Cooks", and she was pouring this light brown, gloppy stuff and talking about its effects on our bodies, one of which is a slower release of sugars into the blood stream. Or, to put it in my own words, it helps us feel satisfied longer. I gave it a try and I have to say, she is right. (Click HERE to read her take on it.) Not only is oatmeal back on the menu, but when lunchtime arrives, I'm in much less of a rush to stop working and start fixing it, as I'm not starving anymore.

But, isn't it more pricey than regular sugars? Yes and no. If you are talking about the everyday white stuff, yes. But compared to maple syrup? Depending on your market, there's a good chance it's more affordable. Besides, if adding something like brown rice syrup to your diet means you eat less, and eat better, isn't that priceless?

Have you tried it? I'd love to hear your experiences with it!


Disclaimer: The views written are solely the author's. Consult with your dietician or physician for any significant lifestyle changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment